Friday, July 10, 2009

Social Networks

With the innovative quality of the Internet, the greatest social strength is that it can connect people to information. We have seen the strengths that online communities can offer through many of the new innovative applications that support this collaborative environment. What I have learned through this course is how the Internet is making information more available. The command and control is going to the people and organizations/media outlets are losing their ability to control/capitalize on the information. Information is now being readily shared in an open and collaborative environment.

In blogging over the last few weeks, I joined a "social network" called Classroom 2.0. The badge is posted on this blog. I was so thrilled to be invited to a live "webinar" yesterday hosted by PBS teachers (from the PBS KIDS producers and educators) on early childhood literacy. In order to listen to the webinar, I had to download some software that allowed me to view the seminar live. The discussion was designed to help teachers of children help imporve their student's literacy skills, through best practices in reading and language arts and resournces that can be used in the classroom. It didn't cost me anything to participate and there are many other sessions to follow that I can participate in. As I am a very eager student about ready to embark on a Master's in Education degree, I am so happy to know about these online resources (especially since there is no cost).

This is just an example of how this technology is changing the role of the teacher in the classroom, and essentially they way children will learn. I believe the online environment allows for parents and teachers to join forces to support a child's learning. I think this type of technology will drive new trends in the resources that are made available to children.

Next week, I would like to explore what driving changes the educational field will have to respond to as Web 2.0 makes more of an impact on peoples lives.

3 comments:

  1. Where are you going for the Masters in Ed. There are some great Ed Technology programs (I would not recommend SCU for this)

    I am also truly enjoying this blog and hope that you continue beyond the class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information and feedback! I am going to start with a basic M.Ed. program at Portland State University to get my teaching certificate. But you just opened my eyes to the possibilities and a MA in Educational Technology looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the ease of access to information online is amazing! It is an entire digital world that is filled with endless information about anything you could possibly think of and more. The one thing that worries me about the accessibility of the internet is the loss of the human connection in learning.

    ReplyDelete